Ask a Urologist   »  

Experiencing itching/burning sensation while urinating. Remedy?

I am experiencing a sort of itching/burning sensation while urinating since last 2-3 days. Its not severe but I feel uncomfortable during urinating. Please let me know if there are any remedies I can try at home or consult a doctor and get some tests done.
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 25 hours later

First, apologies for the late answer.

Itching / burning sensation during urination is a symptom of urinary tract infection. The following measure can be tried at home:

1. Drink plenty of water - at least 2 litre a day.
2. Cranberries / cranberry juice also are good.
3. Urine alkalizing agents like Syp. Citralka can be mixed with a glass of water/fruit juice and taken thrice a day.

It would also worthwhile if you can get your urine tested - urine routine/microscopy and if needed culture/sensitivity test. The test can reveal presence of infection.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Experiencing itching/burning sensation while urinating. Remedy? 10 hours later
Thanks for the reply doctor. I have started the remedies suggested by you. I will get in touch with you if I have any more questions. Please provide me your telephone number.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 12 hours later
It is much easier to reach me on this portal than through phone. You can update me about your condition using follow ups.

Wish you speed recovery.

Follow-up: Experiencing itching/burning sensation while urinating. Remedy? 22 hours later
Thanks doctor. Wanted to know one more thing. How long it usually takes to recover from this condition. And is it necessary to get the urine tested now.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Hello XXXXX,

The time of recovery depends on the type of infection. Generally bacterial infections resolve only with antibiotic therapy. Most viral infections resolve within a weeks time.

Therefore urine tests is extremely useful. It helps us decide whether or not to start antibiotics.

Let me know if you have any other enquiries.