Experiencing hyper acidity. Had endoscopy, diagnosed with H. Pylori infection. Taking Sompraz antacid. Is it fine?

Dear Doctor,

My wife has been experiencing Hyper-acidity on and off for about 10 years now. She underwent endoscopy about 10 days ago, and we were told that she had a H. Pylori infection. Antral erosions were also seen during the endoscopy.

She completed a course of HP Kit for 10 days as a treatment for this diagnosis, and she's taking Sompraz antacid now, which should continue for 1 month (1 pill every morning).

My questions are:

1. Do we have to do another endoscopy after this to determine if H. Pylori infection has been cured?
2. She still has mild acidity in spite of taking antacid pill.
3. Can there be another reason why she's been experiencing acidity for such long periods of time? What tests or diagnostic procedures can be performed to find out why hyperacidity occurs?

Many thanks,
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 4 hours later
Thank you for contacting XXXXXXX with your query about your wife.

I understand that she has had acid problems for over ten years.

Recent endoscopy demonstrated inflammation of the lining of the lower part of the stomach with small ulcers (Erosions). She also was detected to have H.Pylori and was given appropriate therapy with the triple drug kit. I agree with the duration of treatment also.

With this, usually H.Pylori should be eradicated. There are some instances where a longer duration of therapy or changing the combination may be needed or even a second course.

Good news is, she does not need another endoscopy to see if H.Pylori is cleared. There is a breath test and also a stool antigen test to see if the eradication is complete. I recommend waiting for at least two weeks to get one of these tests.

The PPI that she is taking is effective if taken properly. She should take this about 60-90 mins. before her main meal of the day.

Sometimes a second dose may be needed if there is no symptom relief or partial relief. Again, the second dose should be taken 60-90 mins. before her evening meal. Have her cut back spicy foods, tomato based products and also dairy products such as cheeses and much milk. She should avoid fatty, fried or greasy foods as they can slow down the stomach emptying and hence increase acid contact. She should also stay away from aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen (All NSAIDS) for the erosion
to heal.

She should not have any snacks before bed time. Bed time should be at least two hours after the last meal of the day.

If she follows all these, I am sure she will do fine.

The only time she might need a follow up endoscopy would be if there are any new symptoms such as increasing abdominal pain, vomiting, any black stool or difficulty swallowing. In the absence of these there is no need for a repeat endoscopy.

I wish her the very best.