Experiencing episodes of heartbeat while laying down. Cause? Should I be worried?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I am a very fit 53 year old woman with a healthy yoga lifestyle, vegetarian and all. I am experiencing weird episodes of rapid heartbeat, especially when I lay down and during the night. Should I be alarmed.? What causes this?
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 24 minutes later
There are a number of possible causes of a intermittent fast heartbeat. Excessive caffeine is one of the commonest. By reducing or cutting out caffeine these episodes can sometimes disappear.
There may be unusual electrical activity in the heart which causes extra beats. This is usually treatable with medication or a minor procedure carried out by a cardiologist.
You do not need to be alarmed by these episodes. In the first instance you could try cutting out caffeine. If you do not drink any caffeine then I would suggest you consider a visit to your doctor. An EKG may help diagnose the problem or may suggest any further investigations that may be needed.
I hope this has been helpful for you and if there are any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger