Experiencing acid reflux and heartburn after taking penicillin for Strep infection. Is this a common side effect?

After 4 days of taking penicillin for Strep - I am experiencing painful acid indigestion/reflux and heart burn. Is this a common side effect?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Penicillin is an antibiotic and all antibiotic cause certain amount of gastric upset including penicillin.

I advice you not to have spicy and oily food during the course of the treatment.

To reduce the gastritis and reflux you can take omeprazole 20 mg once daily half an hour before breakfast in the morning.

This will reduce your symptoms.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further queries.