Ask a Urologist   »  

Experienced frequent UTI, urine culture showed e coli infection. Suggest?

i have experienced frequent uti as do not drink much fluid and go to the loo. have done urine culture report shows some e coli infctn. started moxiclav 625 since yesterday. am worried please suggest if it will get ok. i have had past history of neurocysticercosis.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
correct approach

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to the forum.
You are on the line of treatment - as you are getting the correct antibiotic based on the urine test.

To prevent recurrence, the following issues would be of help.

1. Plenty of oral fluids.
2. Empty the bladder at bed time - and also before after sex.
3. Low dose long term antibiotics - like bactrim for 3 to 6 months , especially if the infection is repeated.

Also, kindly get ultrasound scan of the urinary tract done - to look for stones or obstruction that predispose to infection.

Hope this helps,
Best regards
Follow-up: Experienced frequent UTI, urine culture showed e coli infection. Suggest? 6 minutes later
gynac has done the scan abdomen and vaginal both, it is normal . i am attaching my recent health reports done. please revert how many days i should take antibiotic. Also i hope there is nothing to worry. please check the report uploaded now. I do not drink much water and fluids.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
5 to 10 days--------------------------------------

Detailed Answer:
welcome back.
I had a look at your tests. Renal function is normal.
Antibiotic for 5 days minimum, maximum ten days.
After that, as i said, please speak to your doctor on starting long term antibiotic for about 3 to 6 months for prevention of repeated attacks - like bactrim.
Hope this helps
Best regards