Ex smoker, have chest pain and coughing. Had normal chest CT and thorax. Lung cancer?

I am an ex smoker of 5 pack years over ten actual years age 29. 11 months ago I had chest ct for neurologic issues still undefined which was clear. I have had clean cxr 3 months ago and one week ago for coughing and chest pain occurring over the last 3-4 months is this enough imaging to rule out lung cancer.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal xray chest and CT may rule out lung cancer

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. A normal chest xray and a recent normal ct thorax make you less likely to suffer from lung cancer, however due to your smoking history , you are at a higher risk of lung cancer as compared to non smokers in general.

2. For your chest pain an ECG and 2d echo to rule out any cardiac cause is recommened in consultation with a cardiologist.

3. Being an ex smoker , you are at a high risk of developing COPD and need to be evaluated for that in consultation with a pulmonologist. This could be a cause of recurrent cough if any. Pulmonary function test is required for diagnosis of this.

4. At present there is no evidence of lung cancer. A thoracic PET scan is also more sensisitive in detecting any early lesion if present and can be considered in consultation with your doctor if the suspicion is very high.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist