Enteroscopy, meniscus tear, blood drawn from the knee, swelling.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
HAd an ahtroscopy 2 weeks ago for a lateral meniscus tear... this morning, the surgeon removed blood from my knee. When can I expect the swelling to go away (16 yrs old, 6ft, 170lbs?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 21 hours later

I presume that your lateral meniscus has either been removed than repaired by the arthroscopic procedure.

Having done that many a times, a blood vessel may get damaged leading to intra articular haemmorhage or blood in your joint some times. If it appears in sitting position only, then avoiding 'bending the knee' is the best way to prevent it from reappearing.

Meanwhile I suggest the following:
1. You may apply a crepe bandage to give compression
2. Apply ice pack over the knee
3. Elevate the leg over a pillow and
4. Foremost importance is "take rest".

"A full and complete recovery should be expected within 3 weeks".

Make sure its blood that your physician drained from your knee. If its anything else, request it to be sent for pathological evaluation for infection.

Hope I answered your query.

Here's wishing you an early recovery. Should you have any more queries, I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Enteroscopy, meniscus tear, blood drawn from the knee, swelling. 10 hours later
It was a meniscus removal and yes, it was blood. When you say avoid bending the knee, you mean for how long ?
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 2 hours later
Hello once again.
Thanks for confirming the facts.

The rehabilitation in patients undergoing arthroscopy is usually started day one, except in cases with an intraarticular bleeding complication such as your self.

To prevent it a crepe bandage is tightly applied for a day post operative. It is discontinued after two weeks. I suppose in your case we need to apply it for a week more along with other precautions I mentioned earlier.

A weeks immobilisation for knee would be fine, not more than that. The movements need to be gradually achieved full range there after.

Usage of anti inflammatory medicines is recommended for a short period under supervision. Vitamin C supplements can fasten the XXXXXXX tissue recovery and maintenance.

Hope you have benefitted by my opinion. Wish you an early recovery and expect a mail in a week to confirm the same.

Good day.