Entered ER after plastic fork piece perforated my intestine. Medical records show diffuse gastric thickening. Remedy?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I ended up in the ER when a piece of a plastic fork perforated my intestine. I need to know how many hours after accidentally swallowing this would it take to get stuck and cause my symptoms of pain and feeling like I couldn't catch my breath. This is from my med records "Intestinal tract: There is a linear foreign body density traversing the wall of the antrum. There is diffuse gastric thickening. There is a moderate amount of colonic stool. Inflammatory changes: There is diffuse increased density within the mesentry and omentum of the upper abdomen." Thank you for your time.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Well food usually stay in stomach for 2-4 hours before it reaches small bowel. then it stays in small bowel for 5-6 hours. since this is plastic fork it may travel bit faster so it could cause bowel perforation between 1.5-4 hours after swalloving. After perforatio pain and other difficulties can vary from mild to very intensive.
it is questionable is it perforation of stomach or small intestines but in every case it can have serious consequanes and repeated CT scans and physical check ups are necessary. If this is still in stomach it can be removed endoscopically, but if there is a clear evidence of perforation with progressive pain,then surgical procedure is mandatory. this finding is indicating pathologic inflammatory process probbaly caused by foreign body but it is still not clear evidence of perforation. Surgery can done laaproscopicaly today in every better hospital. feel free to ask.
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Entered ER after plastic fork piece perforated my intestine. Medical records show diffuse gastric thickening. Remedy? 1 hour later
I had it removed laproscopically. I need to know if it is at all possible that it could have been there for over 24 hours before causing the symptoms that sent me to the ER.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
It is possible of course but foreign bodies will in most cases cause perforation between 2-5 hours in small bowel and between 5-24 hours in large bowel. Sometimes it can stay in our digestive system even up to 48 hours if there is slow bowel movement,IBD or some other bowel motility disorder. Also, plastic material may pass much slower than normal food as it can be stucked in stomach or bowel several times and then it can be pushed through by bowel peristalsis or cause perforation at any level.