Enlarged lymph nodes in neck, under chin, metallic taste in mouth, breathing difficulty, fullness in ears. Possible causes?

ENT Specialist
Hi there,

I'm desperately searching for some answers. I have had 2 enlarged lymph nodes on the left side of my neck (pea sized) & one about the size of a Lima bean under my chin for over a year now. The one under my chin is especially worrisome to me. I haven't "felt right" for quite some time & my newest symptoms are a metal taste in my mouth & intermittent shortness of breath/difficulty breathing while doing simple daily activities or while at rest. My Doctor put me on an inhaler but it does not relieve my symptoms. I also have post nasal drip & for as long as I can remember, my ears constantly feel full/achy although my Dr. says there is no fluid build up or infection. Please help...I feel like no one is listening.
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 51 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Sub-centimetre lymph nodes are usually considered reactive and not worrisome. Get a USG Neck (Ultrasound) with a Doppler study done. If there is any doubt, a USG guided FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) will settle the issue.

2. A post nasal drip and nasal obstruction may cause breathlessness on exertion and the Audiogram) and an Impedance Audiogram (Tympanogram) done. If these are normal, there is no treatment for the ears necessary. Also, the appearance of the ear drum changes if there is a fluid build-up behind the ear drum. If you can attach an endoscopic image of your ear drums, it will help narrow down the possibilities.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.