Ask a Urologist   »  

Enlarged hyperactive thyroid. Calcium and PTH-levels high. Is it a tumour on my Parathyroid Gland?

Question
Hello my name is XXXXXXX and I have a recent diagnosis of an enlarged hyperactive thyroid. And, because my calcium and PTH-levels were high the endocronologist I saw, stated that this is suggestive of a possible tumor on my Parathyroid Gland. I need to get a second opinion do you have any suggestions or more information on my recent diagnosis such as the do's and don'ts in my case. I've had trouble eating because it seems that food gets stuck in my throat specifically on the left side. And, I'm experincing a feel of sickness, nausea, and weakness that goes throughout my whole body. What can I do?
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, suggestive of a tumour.......

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about all that you have been going through.

Q: And, because my calcium and PTH-levels were high the endocronologist I saw, stated that this is suggestive of a possible tumor on my Parathyroid Gland. I need to get a second opinion do you have any suggestions or more information on my recent diagnosis such as the do's and don'ts in my case

A: A finding of high calcium levels and high parathyroid hormone is very suggestive of primary hyperparathyroidism. normally, the a high calcium level should turn off further production of this hormone. However, in cancerous situations, the gland no longer responds to calcium control mechanism. This leads to a no check on either the calcium level or the hormone levels leading to concomitantly high values at the same time.
Most of the reported symptoms of nausea, weakness and fatigue are suggestive of high blood calcium levels. For this please, i will suggest that you follow up with your doctor for a more detailed testing and treatment. the most common treatment of this condition is surgery and it offers a cure to approximately 90% of the patients treated.

Q: I've had trouble eating because it seems that food gets stuck in my throat specifically on the left side. And, I'm experincing a feel of sickness, nausea, and weakness that goes throughout my whole body. What can I do?

A: well, unless there is a visible swelling on the neck, i will not want to think these symptoms are closely linked to a possible tumor of the parathyroid gland. However, get consulted and evaluated on this because there are many other possible causes of this that are not linked to a tumour of the parathyroid gland. An upper gastrointestinal endoscopy would investigate and address most of the possible causes. Also, a dynamic study in which you swallow a product and it is followed through with imaging would be very helpful.

Hyperthyroidism and hyperparathyroidism are not a common association. However, that seems to be what you have. Let you doctor probe even further to make sure there is nothing more than what we already have at hand.

I hope this helps. Thank you for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be.
I wish you the best of health.
Dr. Ditah, MD