Endoscopy and dilatation done for reflux oesophagitis with lower esophageal stricture. Not cured. Any advice?

Jan 2013

my father is 70 yrs old, suffering from Reflux Oesophagitis with lower oesophagial stricture. done Endoscopy and dilatation but still not recover.
Pls. advise proper health.
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 31 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with reflux esophagitis.
Does your father have abdominal bloating/ acidic belching/ excessive flatulence/ nausea or vomiting?

Reflux esophagitis along with peptic stricture may be treated partially by endoscopic dilatation.
Apart from dilatation, you can go for stent placement in lower esophagus which also covers lower esophageal sphincter.
By placing stent, permanent cure for food impaction or obstruction can be treated.
But possibility of reflux of acid is also decreased so treatment of excessive acid production is also required.
Treatment of rexcessive acid production is also mandatory for complete recovery.
Reflux esophagitis may be a part of chronic gastritis, fundal gastritis, nodular gastritis, follicular gastritis and gastric & duodenal ulcer, adenocarcinoma of stomach and GERD (all these disease are diagnosed by endoscopy).
Helicobacter pylori bacteria is responsible for peptic ulcer treatment and eradication is essential for complete relief.

You should consult with your treating doctor/ XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go forcomplete hemogram, thyroid profile and blood sugar, urea breath test for H. Pylori bacteria.
If urea breath test is found to be positive then you must have to take treatment against Helicobacter pylori bacteria.

Meanwhile, he should take proton pump inhibitors along with prokinetics (which increase gastrointestinal motility).

Kindly follow these dietary restrictions:
1) Avoid tomatoes, citrus fruits, onion, garlic, oily and spicy food (particularly at night times), tea and coffee.
2) Avoid putting dough and boiled potatoes in refrigerator.
3) take less amount of legumes.
4) Only take 200 ml of milk; thats in the morning hours.
5) Keep difference of 3 hours between meals and sleep.
6) Take soft diet along with yogurt.
7) He should take frequent small amount meals.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava