Eleven months child sits and active. Is it normal to make the child walk?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Dear Doctor, Good evening. I have a son who is now 1 year of age (12 months) and has just started sitting. He had a normal birth cycle and his corrected age now is 11 months. He climbs up normally and also crawls (commando crawling) and is active as normal kids. Is it normal for him to take time to walk? If this may help, started sitting exactly on this 1st birthday. Trust everything is normal.
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later

Yes it is normal for infants to take time to walk even after 1 year of age . Each child is different and there is wide range of time period when a child is expected to walk.
Usually walking should be achieved by the age of 10 months to 18 months . If your child does not start walking even after 18 months of age then you should get him evaluated by his pediatrician .
Regarding sitting without support it is usually achieved by 8 months though sometimes a child can crawl well and sit with support earlier but find sitting alone difficult at such age. As of now if your child can sit , crawl , stand with support but cannot walk its nothing abnormal and you need not be concerned . Sometimes the infants find difficult to control their body weight while standing and walking as opposed to crawling so they may have some delay but it is considered a variation of normal and may soon be acheived in a few months.
Considering your child's history , nothing seems worrisome as of now .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Follow-up: Eleven months child sits and active. Is it normal to make the child walk? 13 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you for your note and prompt follow-up. It gives me a lot of reassurance. I would also like to note the following and do let me know if normal:

1. He sits normally
2. He doesnt stand with support
3. If you call him, he gives up his hand and with this he climbs to stand
4. If we support him against a table, he stands briefly.

Hence, he sits and crawls without our support but, doesnt stand without our support. Please also let me know if this is normal at this age/stage.

Warm Regards,
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Most infants develop standing alone between 11- 131/2 months and so it could be that your child is just about to achieve this milestone soon.
Standing with support develops by 8-10 months which he has achieved by now .
So I think you need not worry and just encourage him and wait and watch.
If by another couple of months too , he can't stand then you may get him assessed .
As of now he appears developmentally normal .
Hope this answers your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries .