Elevated uric acid levels. Numbness and tingling with pain in the feet after taking Allopurinol. Side effects?

Excellent

Nephrologist
Question
Hello, I am 60 years old a male. I had slightly elevated uric acid 9.3 my general presribe Alphafernal (exuse Spelling) I had no gout symptons whatsoever. After a few week of 300mgper day, I experience numbness and tingling along with pain in my feet mostly on top behind the toes. I dropped the pill and waited a few weeks to have blood test. still 9.3 but pain in feet does not go away. My Crp is at 10.1 and my eGFR is at 47.1 Pain and numbeness continues in my feet. Whats Up? XXXXXXX.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 17 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

You have a mildly decreased GFR. Uric acid does go up with decrease in renal function. However a level of 9.3 is still relatively high for your GFR. You were probably on Allopurinol for elevated uric acid. A 300mg dose is a bit high for your GFR, it can itself result in neuropathy and numbness.

Please discuss regarding lowering your Allopurinol dosage with your treating doctor.

The jury is still out on treating otherwise asymptomatic elevated uric acid.

I would suggest dietary modification and regular (3 monthly) follow up of your uric acid. Some pills for high blood pressure (diuretics)can result in elevated uric acid.

Hope this information helps you. You are welcome to post if you have any further concerns.

Regards.

Follow-up: Elevated uric acid levels. Numbness and tingling with pain in the feet after taking Allopurinol. Side effects? 3 hours later
I am also concerned about my high CRP it is 10.1 and recommended is 00.0 to .90. Can this be fallout from the higher uric acid? Doc, I am sorry, I said my CRP was 10.0 it was 7.10 my Homocysteine was 10.1 which is within range.
Thanks XXXXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 8 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

There has been some relation of C-Reactive Protein (CRP) with high Uric Acid, but not definite.

CRP levels are below 10 mg/L can be seen in the healthy. It doesn't need further probing if it is below that level. So your value looks alright to me.

Hope I have provided you with some useful information. Let me know if you have any more concern.
If all your queries have been addressed, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.