Elevated sugar levels in urine

My sugar is 145 in my urine. My blood preswsure is 128/78
I waiting on on blood test.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one, I will work on providing you with some good information, and recommendations regarding what is going on.

To have elevated glucose in the urine is certainly abnormal. This is something, which does need further investigation. You did mention that your value is elevated but I would like to see a copy of the actual test in order to provide an accurate interpretation. If you could scan and send a copy via e-mail to my attention at the following e-mail address I would appreciate it: YYYY@YYYY
This elevated reading. May mean that your body is having some difficulty handling excessive amounts of glucose. This may be a form of early diabetes. Your blood pressure is under excellent control, which is always a good thing. I am sure your doctor will be checking some additional blood tests to rule out any other issues including kidney problems. At some point, it may be necessary to talk about lifestyle modification and possible diet, which may improve the overall management of glucose in your body.

Depending on your current weight, a small amount of weight loss of five or 10 pounds can make a significant difference in the management of blood sugar. In addition, a small change in diet to decrease the amount of carbohydrates on a daily basis can also make a significant difference.

These are all things, which your doctor will discuss with you as the blood tests become available. I am sure that he will be able to put together a plan to optimally manage any issues with your blood sugar.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns, I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert