Elevated levels of ALT and protein in urine. Should I be concerned about the levels and are the cholesterol readings in range?

I am a 44 yr. old male and just got blood work back that showed slightly elevated levels of ALT (66) and also had UR Protien in my urinre of (11). everything else looked fine and my cholesterol numbers were as follows: HDL - 39, LDL - 106, total cholesterol 174, triglicerides - 145 & Non HDL Cholesterol at 135. I am 6 feet tall and weigh 180 pounds. Just curious as to whether or not I should be concerned about the high ALT & UR protien readings and if the cholesterol readings are in range. I am on no medications.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 8 hours later

I have read your reports which have two concerns high ALT and protein in urine.

Your ALT (Alanine transaminase) value is just above the reference range of 7 to 56 IU/L. It is not considered significant unless it is three times more than the reference range.

Proteins in urine is an important sign of many kidney diseases, however it can occur in many non serious reasons.

You can get a couple of repeat urine tests done in next one month and if two out of three tests are negative, then nothing is to be done.

However if positive then you must be investigated for it by tests like Kidney function tests, CT (Computerized Tomography) abdomen and may be biopsy as you are hypertensive (controlled)and long standing hypertension can cause it.

I hope I have answered your queries, however if you wish to ask something more, you are welcome for further queries.

Thanks and wish you best of health.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.