Elevated blood sugar levels. History of heart attack, stent placement. Taking simvastatin, metoprolol succinate, aspirin. Advice?

Question
I AM 54 AND HAD A HEART ATTACK 2 YEARS AGO AND HAVE 4 STENTS I TAKE SIMVASTATIN 40 MG, METOPROLOL SUCCINATE 200 MG, TEKTURNA 150 MG 1 81 MG ASPIRIN AND NIASPAN ER 500 MG, PLAVIX 75 MG, AND CITALOPRAM 40 MG FOR ANXIETY, AND MY BLOOD SUGAR IS 164 HOW BAD IS THAT
I WEIGH 186 AND AM 5'6" TALL
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Heart Attack

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 10 hours later

As you know you are having heart disease and you already have a major coronary event in recent past.

It is good that you are evaluated and treated with best possible treatment.

Normally blood sugar any time during the day should be less then 140mg/dl. Your blood sugar is 164, which is on higher side. There is nothing to get scared off, just you need to make some changes in your diet and live a healthy life style.

You need to take care of that. You are already multiple drugs to control your lipids and take care of heart .In case your sugar is not under controlled, it can raise lipids also. This raises the risk for blockage again.

I would like to suggest something

Do regular exercise, this is must for everything.
Plan your diet well. Avoid high sugar and high fat diet.
Monitor your weight
Avoid stress.

Apart from this please keep follow up with your doctor on regular basis and monitor your sugar at least once in 3 months.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.

Dr.Pragnesh