Elevated TSH level. Suggest the dosage of thyronorm

My TSH level is 135. I was taking alternate medicine. Please suggest me the dose of Tyronorm
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Restart with Tab Thyroxine 75 mcg once a day.

Detailed Answer:

Dear Ma'm,

You have been hypothyroid since last 5 years and was doing good with Thyronorm 75 mcg, so restart the same dose at the earliest. you must take it empty stomach, early morning and observe minimum of 30 minutes gap after the tablet and before taking anything orally.

Recheck your status after 6 weeks and then we can titrate your dose again according to the report.

Please do all of these in consultation with your primary treating doctor.

Follow-up: Elevated TSH level. Suggest the dosage of thyronorm 6 hours later
When the Thyronorm 75 was stopped about 6 months back the TSH was around 2.4
Now it is quite high i.e. 135.
Is it ok to start with just 75 mcg or should I start with more like 150 mcg.
Will there be any side effects?
What are the other symptoms other than weight gain & lethargy?
Please let me know.
Thanks & regards
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please start with 75 mcg only.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'm,

If I were to be your treating doctor, I would not start with 150 or higher dose. 75 mcg is sufficient. You can wait for 6 weeks to review and then according to your reports we can titrate the dose.

Side effects of over treating - tachycardia, palpitation, weight loss, anxiety, stress on heart, heat intolerance, bone wear out.
side effects of not treating - all features of hypothyroidism.
other symptoms of hypothyroidism will be fatigue, over sleepy attitude, cold intolerance, irregular periods.

Follow-up: Elevated TSH level. Suggest the dosage of thyronorm 2 days later
In case the Thyronorm is missed in the morning (forgotten or due to travel or so) can it be taken on some other time in a day. or next day the dose can be doubled or not?
Is there is a difference between Thyronorm 75 & Thyroxine 75

For general information: In case of Hyper Thyroidism what medicine is prescribed.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
thyroxine is the generic name.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'm, Hi! In case of missing the dose you can take it whenever you remember, but don't make it the habit. Please do not double the dose if you forget the drug absolutely. There is no difference between thyroxine and thyronorm. Thyronorm is the brand name whereas thyroxine is the generic name.
Treatment for hyperthyroidism - 1. surgery, 2. radio ablation, 3. medicines - a) PTU b) methimazole c) carbamazepine