Eaten lobster that tasted like ammonia. Should I be concerned?

I ate a lobster that tasted like ammonia. Should I be concerned
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 2 hours later

I understand your concern. Hi,

The lobster was probably dead way too long before being cooked. Usually there is an "ammonia" smell when this happens, and therefore ammonia taste.

You should not have eaten it as it poses you at risk for developing infections either due to bacteria (Vibrio parahemolyticus & Vibrio vulnificus) or parasitic infections (tapeworms & roundworms).

Hopefully you will be ok, but if you develop severe diarrhea, cramps, abdominal pain (usually within 24 hours of ingestion of the lobster) then you should seek medical attention.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Best regards,