Ear surgery, dizziness, middle ear bone removed, bad odor, pus, 43% hearing loss. Treatment ?

ENT Specialist
My left ear went through surgey in 2002 to cure the giddiness. Middle ear bone was rottening and doctors had to remove its part. Since then I have been receiving brown color bad odour puss. I had been using Betnesol and buds every month at least once to clean but it never stops. This ear has 43% hearing loss as per Audiogram reports and Tomporal CT scan wouldn't show the clear picture of left ear. Doctor said its covered with puss and has prescribed Cifran 500 and other medicine. Please help.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 10 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. It seems that you were operated in 2002 for an unsafe chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) probably with a cholesteatoma. Do you have any detailed operative notes?

2. Brown colored foul smelling pus or discharge will be due to bacterial infection. Have a pus culture and sensitivity done. Continuous use of Betnesol (steroid) ear drops (without antibiotic cover) will flare up the infection and delay healing. Only Cifran 500 may not be enough, especially if the bacteria are resistant. Sometimes there is added fungal infection and ear wax which gives the ear discharge a dark color.

3. Is your CT an HRCT (High Resolution) CT Temporal Bones? Is it a post operative CT? If it is not clear, I get a special MRI + HRCT Temporal Bones done with a new technique for such cases as yours (persistent discharge). It is possible to see each and every structure in the ear and all the post operative changes. This technique is being published soon.

4. You may upload your audiogram and CT Temporal Bones on to a free file sharing site such as WWW.WWWW.WW or WWW.WWWW.WW and share a link here. You may also email the scanned audiogram and some images to YYYY@YYYY with 'Attn: Dr. Sumit Bhatti' as the subject line.
Since you are in Pune, I am available for direct consultation too. You can call me if you wish to take a direct opinion.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.