Ear pressure while going down a steep grade, popped ear, ear pain, ringing ear.

ENT Specialist
i was going down a steep graDE by our house and i felt a lot of pressure on my ears so i poped them and my right one hurt when i did it it went away but a couple hours later gradulally came back and i had secere pain in my right ear for hours and now it went away but now 3 days later it is ringing loudly still i can barley hear through it what did i do to it
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The Eustachian tube connects the middle ear to the nose and helps equalize the air pressure on both sides of the ear drum and also helps the normal fluid secretions in the middle ear space drain into the nose.

2. You may have had a cold or Eustachian tube dysfunction. Fluid buildup or negative middle ear pressure can cause pain and decreased hearing and tinnitus (ringing in the ear).

3. Get your ears examined by a local ENT Specialist and get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and an Impedance Audiogram (I/A) done.

4. If the above examination and tests are normal, treatment is not required. If the pain persists, you may require medication. These should be taken under medical supervision.

I must emphasize that there is no chance that you did some harm to yourself by popping your ears. This is a normal reflex and a common problem. It may worsen without treatment. Treatment is simple and I urge you to seek immediate medical attention.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.