Ear infection, pain, cold sensation, headache, nasal congestion, sore throat. on AMOXI medication. pain in ears while flying. Treatment for ear pain ?

ENT Specialist
Question
While I’m waiting for an appointment with ENT doctor, I have various deteriorating symptoms related to my condition – potential ear infection including XXXXXXX ear pain, coldness sensation around the ear area while generally hot head, headache, runny nose and sore throat, as well as other symptoms such as headache, eye pain, trouble hearing, nausea, higher blood pressure (140 x 80), swollen lymph nodes, dizziness, unusual leg sensation, and weakness. I’ve taken antibiotic (AMOXI) for 7 days to no relief (This is 4th time I took antibiotics, different kinds this year). I also have a problem with the same ear when I fly on the plane after which my ear is stuffed and the pain is sharp on ascend and descend, which could be related (?). Please advice what to do immediately and long-term options. As a side topic, I consider ear popper device to treat the latter conditions.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the query

After going through the history provided by you, it indicates that you might be having infection in your ears along with nose and your upper respiratory tract.

Earache is secondary to the nasal infection. To mention in brief, there is a tube connecting the nose and the ear called as Eustachian tube, whenever this tube gets blocked because of the Upper respiratory tract infection (URTI), there is pressure variation inside the middle ear leading to acute earache. If the pressure continues to be imbalanced, then there is accumulation of the fluid inside the middle ear causing fullness in the ear and worsening of the earache. The longer the duration of the fluid retained in the middle ear, it gets thick and infected causing long term problems.

As you have mentioned in your history that you had taken four different types on antibiotic in this year, probably these antibiotics have not been effective for you. You need to take the antibiotic which is targeted at URTI and ear infection.

When you are having nasal congestion or ear infection please do not go by flight as this will worsen your problems and leads to barotrauma. I would advise you to do steam inhalation 2-3 times/day, drink plenty of warm water, avoid smoking if any, use saline nasal spray 3-4 times/day to reduce nasal congestion. If the nasal symptoms are bad you can start with a short course of nasal steroid spray also.

You need to get a thorough examination by your ENT specialist to look for middle and inner ear problem, he would look for integrity of your ear drum and discharge if any and would advice to get a culture ans sensitivity of that discharge so that an Antibiotic can be chose appropriate for you based on the sensitivity report.

Hope I have answered your query; if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Ear infection, pain, cold sensation, headache, nasal congestion, sore throat. on AMOXI medication. pain in ears while flying. Treatment for ear pain ? 40 hours later
Thanks for your answers. I have few more follow up questions and request a recommendation.
-     I’m using saline spray. What’s the right way to use it for this specific, XXXXXXX ear infection
-     I started doing hot water inhalations. What are other ingredients to use in these, other than salt ? Perhaps, eucalyptus oil? Other oils?
-     What’s a better way to sleep to avoid extra uncomfortable sensations? On the side? On which side?
-     Other then surgery, what could be the effective treatments of my condition?
-     Is using infrared (heat) lamp going help / provide relief?
-     Could the root cause be fungal and what’s the outcome/treatment of this

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Q: I’m using saline spray. What’s the right way to use it for this specific, XXXXXXX ear infection

A: Saline nasal spray helps in keeping the nasal mucosa moist, decongest the mucosa, as well as help in clearing of the secretions from the nose and the paranasal sinuses. As the salt water is in the right constitution required for the body, you can use it for any number of days and preferably three to four times in a day followed by steam inhalation after ten minutes.

Because of the decongestion the blocked eustachian tube will open up and increase the ventilation of the middle ear, hence reducing the middle ear infection.

Q: I started doing hot water inhalations. What are other ingredients to use in these, other than salt ? Perhaps, eucalyptus oil? Other oils?

A: You can use eucalyptus oil or tincture benzoin or even plain water.

Q: What’s a better way to sleep to avoid extra uncomfortable sensations? On the side? On which side?

A: Best is to take steam inhalation before going to bed, if you are using air conditioner ensure that the room is cool (temperature around 24-25 degree centigrade) rather than cold (18 - 20 degree centigrade) and there is no special precautions regarding position.

Q: Other then surgery, what could be the effective treatments of my condition?

A: Surgery is performed in those cases that do not benefit from medicines and having a blockage of the osteo-meatal complex. There are not many alternatives for surgery and they are not as effective as surgery.

Q: Is using infrared (heat) lamp going help / provide relief?

A: No, infrared therapy is administered only in the painful skeleto-muscular conditions and not in ENT.

Q: Could the root cause be fungal and what’s the outcome/treatment of this

A: It is very unlikely that you could be suffering from fungal sinusitis. Fungal sinusitis is usually seen in diabetics, elderly, immuno-compromised, long term use of steroids spray, etc. And also individuals with fungal sinusitis will present with thick, greenish and sometimes dark secretions with or without blood stains from the nose.

Hope I have answered you query, wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon