Ear feels closed while travelling. How to get rid of this problem?

Sep 2012

I feel my both ears closed (Not able to hear properly) when i travel by bus for more than 5 hours especially in th night time.
To get out of this I need to do open and close my mouth continously 3 to 4 times.
then I can hear properly.
Please let me know what could be the problem and suggest me how can I get rid of this problem.
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later

Thank you for asking a question.

Firstly, in the ear canal there are two opening, one is the external meatus and other is XXXXXXX The air pressure between these two opening maintains the patency of this canal. When there is blockage of one end or there is any difference in air pressure in these two ends, you may feel closing of ear and you may not hear properly, as in your case.

So, first think, whether you have any symptoms like mild coughing, mild feeling of blockage in nasal opening, etc. It may occur due to allergic reaction during traveling in bus. It is possible in this season. The chance of this conditions is increased if you have any history of cold allergy.

If you are traveling in the high altitude, then feeling of blockage of ear canal is more common.

You have to do-
1.     Take precautions for not to get any cold during traveling.
2.     Take cetirizine group of drug if you have any history of allergy.
3. Try to avoid traveling in high altitude areas.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.