During period noticed butt was sore, inflamed and raised. Took Epsom salt bath and neosporin. Suggest?

My granddaughter is 19years old and has her period. Yesterday when her period started she noticed a sore by her butt which is inflamed and slightly raised. I had her sit in an Epsom salt bath and she applied boil ointment along with neosporin. Is this the right treatment, it is painful when she sits.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
May need oral antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
A sore by her butt can become better by epsom salt bath and an antiseptic ointment. Since it is painful, it seems that the area is inflamed. She can take a mild like ibuprofen for relief.
If the sore persists for more than a week or there is a local swelling or discharge from the area then a local infection is likely which needs to be treated with systemic antibiotics.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.