Dry inflmed red bumps on the moustache area. Need medication?

Why do i sometimes get a little red bump in my mustache which i keep short cause if i let it get shaggy it gets dry like dandruff on the skin,so i keep it short but sometimes i get like one red little bump with no head and bairly know its there till i shave and when i shave ans put coconut oil extract on it, it slowly disappears. Any ideas? Thanks!
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The little red bump that you get on your moustache area is likely to be a slightly inflamed blocked gland. Sometimes the punctum or opening is not visible. Dermatitis can also cause such minor changes in the skin. Since the inflammation subsides after applying coconut oil extract, it is not worrisome.
In case it becomes large and painful then systemic antibiotics might be needed after a proper examination.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Dry inflmed red bumps on the moustache area. Need medication? 13 hours later
Thanks!! I dont think i will use antibiotics on anything again,because sometimes they make your bosys immunity low and make you easy target for other colds, flus, viruses, etc. Also i have done extensive reasearch on the properties of coconut oils and find it to be fact by trials and word of mouth that pure coconut oil and its extract is 3 times the healing properties as any hospital prescribed antibiotic to date!! Also it does not kill good bacteria but puts good bacteria in!! Thanks again for your answer, i would challenge you to look up the coconut oil or extract and gwt back to me and tell me what you think!! Iwould appreciate your input but i truly think antibiotics are on the way down soon!! Thanks!!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
I appreciate your knowledge regarding the properties of coconut oil. You are right in pointing out that coconut oil extracts do have anti bacterial properties but this does not decrease the importance of antibiotics in the medical science.
For mild skin infections the topical application is an effective treatment but for serious systemic infections, systemic antibiotics is the only answer.
Hope my answer is helpful.