Drowsiness and giddiness after using Nasivion for nasal congestion. What to do?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
I am suffering from Nasal congestion. I am remedying this by using nasal spray (Nasivion). have now stopped using as its results drowsiness & giddiness. I am not comfortable with english medicine hence I did not go for it. but now its fine if it is best suitable.
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Hi

Thanks for the query

You seem to be suffering from allergic rhinitis. Nasivion is used only for a short period and not for long.

If you have used Nasivion for more than a week, rebound nasal congestion is sure to happen as soon as you stop using nasivion. This condition is known as rhinitis medicamentosa.

You will require a steroid nasal spray (such as fluticasone or momentasone), an antihistaminic (such as fexofenadine) and a short course of oral steroids (prednisolone) to over come this problem. The steroid nasal spray can be tapered off after a few days.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Drowsiness and giddiness after using Nasivion for nasal congestion. What to do? 34 minutes later
thanks for the advice.

should you advice, me to start using steroid nasal spray Fluticasone & an antihistaminic for a period of 15 days with a 5 day course of Steroids (0-0-1).

thanks

Hi

Thanks for writing back

You can use the fluticasone nasal spray 2puff in the morning once you get up from the bed. Oral steroid should be taken 3 times a day for just 3 days depending upon your body weight.

Meanwhile, drink plenty of warm water to keep your nose and throat hydrated.

I wish you good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon