Drank harpic toilet cleaner. Vomits after eating or drinking, losing weight. Any opinion?

My wife drank harpic toilet cleaner near about four month ago. She is not able to eat and drink anything from that time onwards. Everytime she drinks something vomit comes. She loss weight almost 10 kgs.Two months ago doctors arranged a food pipe for food purpose. we are giving food by injecting through it. She was taking liquids through mouth but it is going very slowly and some times she was getting vormtings also. Doctors saying if she gain weight it will reopen to orginal. Can u please advise us on this.
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 46 minutes later

From the problem that you have mentioned it seems that she had ulcers in her G.I.Tract due to harpic and there are chances of same being in stomach also.

These ulcers and damage to the skin of stomach that caused is the reason for this kind of vomiting after food.

Please get in touch with a gastroenterologist and take his opinion. She might need endoscopy and further evaluation.

At times injury to mucosa of food pipe and stomach produces scar and it becomes inelastic, gets narrowed and creates problem.

Endoscopy will clear the picture and if needed the doctor will advise some procedure for this problem as per the diagnosis.

In mean time ask her to avoid taking large quantity at a time; give her small quantity liquids so that she gets proper nutrition, which is very important.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query please accept the answer.

Follow-up: Drank harpic toilet cleaner. Vomits after eating or drinking, losing weight. Any opinion? 14 hours later
What ever we sending through food pipe it digesting to her. only the problem is, she was not getting food from mouth. If she taken liquids, it was going very slowly.
200 ml in 20 -30 minutes. If any solid food taken some time it is going and some time it ischocking. We are consulting Gastroenterologist, they are saying it may open after 6 months or her weight increases. She getting chocked only around 1 inch area only. Please clarify how much will take approxemately to open the pipe.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 28 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

It is good that you have already been to gastroenterologist.

It is difficult to give exact time frame for this to go.Only thing that you need to do is make sure that she got proper nutrition in what ever way you can.

As your doctor has asked to wait,I do not think any procedure is required at this stage.

You can discuss with your doctor about newer stent(something like pipe) which can be put in the narrow part for some time to relieve the constriction.

Wishing her speedy recovery.