Drank bad soymilk.. Started feeling weird in stomach. What should I do now?

General Surgeon
I drank some bad soymilk. not very much of an 8oz glass. my stomach feels a little weird, but no other symptoms. Sometimes it cramps, esp. because my glass I reused the following morning with water tasted like soymilk also, until we got another one. My assistant said the soymilk smelled off. It did not taste off. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Generally if you have no symptoms like vomiting, fever, diarrhea not much should be done and you dont need medical attention. You need to know that everyday we do eat many bacteria. Digestive tract is the largest part of immune system. There are antibodies secreted into digestive tract which do protect us from infections. Moreover, stomach acid is the environment where not much bacteria can survive. All this makes us quite resistant for gastrointestinal infections.
And this is what has happen at your case. Even if the milk were rotten, it does not have to cause any problems.
I suggest you to have mild diet (no fried, fatty or spicy foods) for a day or two. Start probiotics treatment.
In case of diarrhea, vomiting, fever, doctors visit might be necessary and antibiotics prescribed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.