Doppler test fine and echo showed a mild leak in the mitral valve. Any suggestion?

Question
I went for my annual checkup the first time to a new doctor, because my doctor of 15 years
retired. The doctor examined me and heard a slight murmur. I had an echocardiogram & a doppler for the carotid artery. The echo showed a mild leak in the mitral valve and the doppler was fine.It really blew my mind. He told me not to worry, but I cannot help it. My other doctor never told me that I had a slight murmur.

I am a 72 year old female, but I look 20 years younger, because because I eat a healthy diet and exercise every day on the treadmill for 30 minutes and walk also. My cholosterol is good. HDL 82, LDL 99 and tryglisterides 53. My height is 5'1" 110 lbs. I am acturay loosing my mind, because I take such good care of myself. Please help me to understand.

Thankyou, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Thanks for the question. Its excellent that your metabolic profile is good, and I am excited with your life style patterns, I encourage you to continue that way.
The slight leak observed in the cardiac ultrasound, with no apparent clinical signs and symptoms, and of small volume is not important. 60% of "normal" people, have leaks, but never proceed to any clinically apparent cardiac disease. You need bother if the volume is much and you are symptomatic.
Thanks for your query and do not hesitate asking any further questions if need be.
Best regards and best of health.
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Doppler test fine and echo showed a mild leak in the mitral valve. Any suggestion? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for the answer. I feel so much better. I couldn't talk to the doctor about it, because I was shocked to hear about the mild leaky valve. I wasn't too comfortable with the doctor, because it was my first visit to him. My other doctor always explained everything to me and the twelve years that I went to him he never said I had a murmur or sent me for an echo. I was always at ease with him. I really miss him.The only thing I get when I get examined is the white coat syndrom.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for your comments,
I suggest you should not hesitate asking any further questions if need be. I shall be glad contributing and making suggestions in order to better your health to the best of my ability.
Wishing you the best of health,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Doppler test fine and echo showed a mild leak in the mitral valve. Any suggestion? 42 hours later
My only question that worries me is will it get worse in years. I take such good care of myself with exercise and diet. That is making me stressed out and thinking of the worst. In my 72 years I never had any health problems. Im really thinking of going to a therapist for help to get over my anxiety.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 7 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
I suggest you just continue with your healthy exercise and appropriate diet practices. Stick to your appointments and directives of your physician., I do not really think you need to bother. You are fine. I pray you continue with these healthy practices.
Asking questions to your physician at each followup when need be is also very important. For now, you need not worry.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.