Done with percutaneous surgery. Screw inserted are not removed. Bottom of foot and arch are painful.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I sustained a lis franc injury on March 30, 2013. Went to orthopedist immediately and was non weight bearing until surgery on April 30. One screw was inserted between first and second metatarsal, and I believe cuboid bone. Screw has not yet been removed.

Bottom of my foot (no shock absorption) and arch are extremely painful - since I work five to six hours a day, five days a week at a horse barn.

What orthotics and shoes are best for me to wear to ease the pain? Are paddock boots good sources of arch support?
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get the screws removed to reduce pain.

Detailed Answer:
After a Lis Franc injury, the screws that are put in to stabilize the joints are across the joints so they are painful. It is best to get these removed 5-6 months after the surgery.
The best way to manage this pain is to request your orthopedician to remove the screw. Impact activities, such as running and jumping, should be avoided until the hardware has been removed.
You need a thick padding under the Lisfranc joint and make sure the medial edge of orthotics is higher than normal for support. Paddock boots will help in reducing the pain. You can get the required orthotics made from a podiatrist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.