Done with liver transplant. Noticed high levels of ammonia. What can be done?

liver transplant 12 yrs ago know my ammonis level is very high why
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 35 minutes later

Increased ammonia indicates poor liver functioning. The Urea cycle which metabolizes the Ammonia occurs in the liver. If there is any sort of structural or physiological damage to the liver there is disturbance in the cycle and there would be increased ammonia.

Since you had a transplant years back, there are chances there could be secondary problems in the liver related to immune reaction. I suggest you to get a Liver function test done. This test helps to identify the exact cause for the increased ammonia and the status of the liver health.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.