Done with blood work. What are the findings in the report?

Hematocrit 47.6
MCV 108.1
MCH 34.3
MCHC 31.7
RDW 15.1
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Macrocytosis=larger than normal red blood cells

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Your report shows that you have red blood cells with abnormally high cell volume, MCV=108.1. This is termed macrocytosis and in most cases signals vitamin B12 or folic acid deficiency. If there are any associated peripheral nerve problems, then it would be more suggestive of VitB12 deficiency and if you don't, then it is more likely to be folic acid deficiency.

A blood smear will confirm the findings of macryocytosis and look at the neutrophils if they are suggestive as well. You would need further testing to identify what the exact cause of these findings are. A blood level of folic acid and B12 would be very helpful.

Depending on the identified cause, more specific investigations and treatment plan would be established for you. Continuing with a hematologist would be great. Get an appointment and see this investigated into.

I hope this helps. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications. I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Done with blood work. What are the findings in the report? 18 hours later
Is the MCV level of 108.1 considered just mildly elevated as it is less than 10% above the normal range?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 29 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you fo following up with me.

I am so sorry for the tardy response, I had conncetion difficulties all day.

With RBCs, there is no classification which talks about mild, moderate of severe macrocytosis in relation to how high the value is. Generally, greater than 100 is considered macrocytosis and the further away the more severe the possible cause but no official classification.

I hope this addresses your query fully. feel free to follow up if you need some moer clarifications. Thanks!
I wish you good health.
Dr. Ditah, MD