Done with a test of immunoglobins. Suggest the treatment to get IGA and IGM to normal level?

I recently had a test of my immunoglobins. My results for IGA was high and my results for IGM was low (36). What does this mean and is there a treatment or manner to get both of these IG's back to a normal level. Thank you!
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Both high IgA and IgM are associated with multiple myeloma or some auto-immune diseases. Can you also tell me the levels of all the immunoglobulins?

I will recommend that you go for further tests to rule out these conditions. The tests can include urine examination to check for high proteins, hemogram, blood calcium levels, serum protein electrophoresis to find the M-protein or M-spike. These tests are used to diagnose multiple myeloma.

Once it has been ruled out, the other thing remaining is immune diseases.

For these diseases we can take it as symptoms arise. Since these diseases affect certain organs, the symptoms produced are also specific for the organs affected. The treatment is for specific symptoms.

Mostly the treatment is directed at finding the cause for it and treating the cause.

Till then you can make some life-style changes that will help you in managing your health better

- Take more of fruits and vegetables, include them in your meals upto 5 times a day. Take hygienic diet and pure drinking water. Drink lots of water to flush toxins out of your blood.
- Exercise daily for atleast 20 min

Let me know if you need further clarification

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Done with a test of immunoglobins. Suggest the treatment to get IGA and IGM to normal level? 12 hours later
Thank you for your response.
As per your request, the following should be noted:
IGG 1480
IGA 385
IGM 36
Kappa Light Chain 392
Lambda Light Chain 187
IGE Pending transport scheduled

Basic Chemistries:
All within range, no high or lows noted

As indicated to me by the results of the test performed, the only issues at this time are the high IGA and the low IGM.

Thank you for your medical advise.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Raised IgA

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Your blood report has the following findings:

IgG- normal
IgA- raised- only a little
IgM- low- only a little

Now, in multiple myeloma IgA is raised and all other immunoglogulins are low. Your reports do not show it that way. Moreover free light chains are also in normal range.

The IgA and IgM are slightly outside the normal range. It is mostly suggesting two things-

1. High IgA is suggesting a presence of an allergy or an autoimmune disease. If IgA is on the lower side, it usually means that the person is prone to getting recurrent respiratory or GI- infection. That is not your case either.
2. Low IgM can either mean unable to mount an immune reaction to the presence of infection or there is no infection present in the blood.

Since you were tested for sinusitis and some deviations in immunoglobulin levels were found I will suggest that you can take it easy for now. From your report it seems that the sinusitis you have had is due to allergy and not due to infection.

Drink lots of pure water to flush the excess of antibodies and medicines out of blood. These antibodies should not settle down in the kidneys.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr Vaishalee