Done with X ray of medial malleolus. Is it correctly aligned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
two weeks post op my xray of medial malleolus
got the x XXXXXXX
i was wondering if its correctly aligned
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 days later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is correctly aligned.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the x-ray report attached in detail.
Do not worry, it is correctly aligned in both views.
Follow postoperative instructions of your orthopedic surgeon for early recovery.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. If you have no further query, please close the discussion. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Done with X ray of medial malleolus. Is it correctly aligned? 8 hours later
i have a tendency to press and rub my screw area on the fracture site
is it ok if i do this or should i not do this??
im 4 weeks post op

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to avoid this.

Detailed Answer:

As such there is no harm in pressing and rubbing in the area once a while. But frequently rubbing and massaging may cause skin irritation and inflammation. So it is better to avoid this.

I hope this answers your query.

Follow-up: Done with X ray of medial malleolus. Is it correctly aligned? 13 hours later
does the rubbing in the suture area cause the screw to displace and move
and does the rubbing slow down healing and cause a malunion or non union

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
mild rubbing in the area not likely to cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, at 4 weeks postop mild rubbing in the area not likely to cause screw displacement and healing problem but if the rubbing is vigorous it can cause screw displacement and healing problem.

Follow-up: Done with X ray of medial malleolus. Is it correctly aligned? 10 hours later
its been 4 weeks post op
swelling and pain have completely disappearing and i stopped taking pain meds other than solyd plus and vd3 60k
so should i elevate or should i not elevate my leg
and can i keep my foot in any desired direction while sleeping
thank u for answering all my silly questions patiently

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not necessary to elevate the limb all the times.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I am glad to know that I could understand your concern.

Now it's not necessary to elevate the limb all the times. You can keep your foot in any desired direction while sleeping.

Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Good luck.

Follow-up: Done with X ray of medial malleolus. Is it correctly aligned? 47 hours later
almost 5 weeks post op from my medial malleolus surgery by screw fixation
now ive been experiencing smalll acute and pain like tingling sensation on my fracture area
is this because i move my ankle too much??
it is in pop slab by the way

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tingling is not because of ankle movement.

Detailed Answer:

It is not because of ankle movement. It is not unusual to have these type of tingling sensation after injury and surgery. It could be due to irritation or pressure over superficial nerve fibres by swelling of tissues at fracture area. Do not worry this will wean off gradually.

Follow-up: Done with X ray of medial malleolus. Is it correctly aligned? 3 days later
does it have negative impact on the screw head if the crepe bandage is applied too tight

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
It does not have any negative impact on screw head

Detailed Answer:
Hi, It does not have any negative impact on screw head but if the crepe bandage is applied too tight it can cause circulatory problems.

Follow-up: Done with X ray of medial malleolus. Is it correctly aligned? 12 days later
now after 6 weeks of post op my doctor removed my cast and told me to gradually bear partial weight on my ankle for 2 weeks along with ankle foreword and backward movements till the next visit
after few days on partial weight bearing on crutches
i have fallen on my surically fixated ankle
now when i walk on it with crutches
i get small pain near my bone area
what should i do
my doctor comes next week

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should not bear weight on your ankle

Detailed Answer:
You should not bear weight on your ankle till xrays shows everything right. Do icing over the painful area. Elevate your leg on a cushion or a pillow while you are lying or sitting down. Use analgesic anti-inflammatory medications like Advil or Aleve to reduce the pain and inflammation.

Follow-up: Done with X ray of medial malleolus. Is it correctly aligned? 16 hours later
actuallu the pain is very very little near the bone at the time of the sprain and now there is zero pain and zero swelling
and im back to my partial weight bearing so is there a need to discuss this with the doctor urgently or is it ok to wait for next weeks appointment

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can wait for next weeks appointment.

Detailed Answer:
As there is no pain and swelling at present, nature of injury seems to be of mild nature. So you can wait for next weeks appointment.

Follow-up: Done with X ray of medial malleolus. Is it correctly aligned? 7 days later
8 weeks post op now i am walking with full weight bearing on leg using walking stand but when i move my ankle up and down i can feel the screw sensation on my skin
is this normal
and my doctor sais i shouldnt move my ankle left and right for a few more weeks
why??

Brief Answer:
Normal to feeling screw sensation

Detailed Answer:

Do not worry, it is normal to feeling screw sensation on skin during movement of ankle.
During movement of ankle left and right, ligament attached to tip of medial malleoulus can cause some strain to the bone. So try to avoid this movement for 1-2 weeks more.

even after 8 weeks post op there is little swelling in my ankle which is clearly viwible only when i stand
is this normal

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry, this is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Do not worry, it is normal to having some swelling in ankle after standing even after 8-12 weeks post op. After prolonged standing or walking, elevate the limb for some time to reduce the swelling.

Follow-up: Done with X ray of medial malleolus. Is it correctly aligned? 5 days later
after 2 weeks of weight bearing
is it safe to walk with slippers?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is safe

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it is safe to walk with slippers. But try to avoid walking on uneven surface with slippers .

Follow-up: Done with X ray of medial malleolus. Is it correctly aligned? 17 hours later
should i continue to wear the crepe bandage or should i stop

Brief Answer:
no need to wear the crepe bandage

Detailed Answer:

Now there is no need to wear the crepe bandage.