Done with HIV-1 RNA(Qualitative) testing and the results were non reactive. Had flu symptoms before the test. Further tests needed?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hello doctors, I did HIV-1 RNA(Qualitative) testing on the 17th day after possible exposure. The results were non reactive. Is it safe to say i can move on or do i need some more testing?I had some symptoms of flu before taking the test. If it was due to ARS, the test would have come out positive right?
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
HIV testing

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing Health care magic for your query.
I would like to give you some information about HIV, its multiplication and diagnosis.
HIV is a RNA virus which mainly causes infection by sexual route.
This virus after entry into the body replicates in lymph nodes and spills into the blood leading to viremia.(virus in blood)
This takes about 4 - 11 days after infection.
This viremia persists in the body for 8-12 weeks.
During this time HIV RNA, P24 antigen of HIV can be easily detected in the blood.
Hence these tests are used for detection of HIV during early phase of infection.
Now coming to your test results, it would be safe to say that you are HIV negative.
If the first test you have undergone is reactive then another two tests are done to confirm the positivity and then only the result is given as positive.
The symptoms of flu do not have any co relation with the HIV infection.
I hope I have answered your questions satisfactorily.