Done radiation for stage 4 NSCLC and cardiomyopathy. Can you give an estimate of how long he may have to live?

My brother has stage 4 NSCLC and cardiomyopathy, he has had 3 sessions of radiation and no chemotherapy as yet his doctors have not told him how long he may have. Can you give an estimate please. He lives in Canada and I in UK I want to be there for him and his family at final stage.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 3 hours later

Statistically, the overall 5-year survival rate for those diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer is less than 10%, while the median stage four non-small cell lung cancer life expectancy is only around eight months.

But I remind you that these are only statistics, because it is impossible to estimate precisely how long any patient may have. So, I have given you these numbers just to have a clue regarding the situation.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD