Done cholesterol check. Worried about levels. Eating low fat diet, running daily, weight training. What is going on?

Hi there...Just had my cholesterol checked and my levels are worrying me, I am a very health extremely active female. I run 6-7 days a week for 45 min - 1 hour., and weight train for 45-1 hour 3-4 days a week. I eat a very low fat diet and make almost everything from scratch. My levels were HDL 125 LDL 79 triglycerides were 24. What is going on? Is this cause for concern? thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 45 minutes later
Thank you for writing in,
I really appreciate the time and space that you spend for you health. You mean an ideal person for a physician like me. The practices matter a lot than the lab values. The physicals matter most than the biochemical values.
Having said that I hope you had written the values correctly.
Your report shows better values. As said you should not worry as long as you practice what you had written here. Do not worry a woman is well protected against the heart disease risk at this age because of oestrogens. I hope you do not smoke.
For HDL(good cholesterol) the more the better, 60 and above is normal.
For LDL(bad cholesterol) the less the better, less than 150 is normal.
Triglyceride another cholesterol in blood should be less than 150.

So nothing to worry.You are perfectly normal and healthy.
Follow-up: Done cholesterol check. Worried about levels. Eating low fat diet, running daily, weight training. What is going on? 3 hours later
Great! Thank you! I was concerned that the hdl number was so far above normal it was cause for concern, and the triglycerides were way below normal. Also that the total cholesterol number was a little over 200. I do not smoke. Thank you for any more insight on this. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 36 minutes later
Thank you for writing in,
Triglyceride should be low.If its increased, then it should be cause of concern.
Total cholesterol more than 200 is mainly due to HDL cholesterol. Hence it is not a risk factor for cardiac disease.
Its important risk factor for cardiac disease only when its due to increased LDL.
HDL actually protects you from Cardiovascular diseases.
So no need to worry about it.Continue your healthy practices.
It will help you lead a long and healthy life.