Ask a Urologist   »  

Done PSA blood test, nausea after taking Pamsvax. Would I better off taking Saw Palmetto or should I take the prescribed medicine?

Yesterday I visited my Doctor for the result of a PSA blood test and physical examination of the prostate. My PSA reading was 0.7 but the examination showed that the prostate is enlarged. I have been prescribed Pamsvax XL 400 capsules. I took one last evening and felt unsteady when I had to visit the bathroom at about 4.00am and today I feel giddy but not nauseaus. I do suffer giddy spells (once or twice a year) and someone said I should take chromium. My question is, would I be better off taking Saw Palmetto or should I persevere with the prescribed medication or re-visit my Doctor to see if the is a medication without the side effects.
Thank you,

Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later

Hi there XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

You have got a touch of benign prostate hypertrophy or BPH. This is normal for a man of your age and as such, is nothing to worry about.

Your doctor has prescribed Pamsvax XL. It also comes as Frowmax. It is the usual treatment for BPH and is designed to give you a better flow and not to have to pass water so often.

However, it does not suite everyone and it may not be suiting you. It can lower blood pressure a bit and, since I suspect that your BP is already low, this may be causing your uneasiness and giddiness.

I think you are correct. Discontinue this Pamsvax and go on your Saw Palmetto after discussing this with your doctor the next time you are in there.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.
Follow-up: Done PSA blood test, nausea after taking Pamsvax. Would I better off taking Saw Palmetto or should I take the prescribed medicine? 2 hours later
Thank you for your opinion, I will try Saw Palmetto. I meant to also ask if you felt there would be any benefit in taking chromium as well.

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 45 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your follow up question.

I do not really see where taking chromium would help you one way or another. If you think you may be lacking in some trace minerals the a pinch of sea salt every day should solve this.

Thanks and keep well.

Andrew Rynne