Done HIV test. Does the results indicate of being HIV positive?

I just received my HIV test results.
my ECLIA is positive but myELISA is saying no
I'm confused. pl advice if I have HIV.
The diagnostic centre nurse informed it was very minute to ECLIA compared to a big negative in ELISA. Do I have HIV
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

ELISA and ECLIA are both antibody based tests for HIV.
ELISA is more reliable than ECLIA ,when ECLIA is positive in small titers.

The cut of rate for ECLIA is 1. Any one who is getting anything less than that means that during the test no antibodies were found which could take the rate of reaction during test to HIV anti bodies that is 1.
If your titer is <1 then you are safe and nothing more needs to be done.

To sum up If your ELISA is negative and ECLIA is small positive there is nothing to be worried about.You are HIV negative.

Hope this helps.

If you need any further clarifications,I will be availble for follow up.

Follow-up: Done HIV test. Does the results indicate of being HIV positive? 38 minutes later
Is it common or known for eclia to be positive and elisia negative and patient not having hiv
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Hi again ,

It is not common but it has been reported earlier.

If your ECLIA titre is less than 1 when tested after 3 months of exposure you are definitely not having HIV.

Western blot is the ultimate confirmatory test to rule out

Hope this helps.

Dr Sudarshan.
Follow-up: Done HIV test. Does the results indicate of being HIV positive? 5 hours later
Ok doc.just got m elisa and western blot tests done today and botH Came in negative. Your final words pl thanksA
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 44 minutes later

Its heartening to know that your both ELISA And Western blot came back negative.

Western blot is highly specific and sensitive test.Negative Western blot rules out HIV completely .It means you are 100% negative for HIV.

Hoope this helps.

If you have liked my answer then indicate it by rating it at the end.

Dr Sudarshan