Done HIV ELISA test. Worried about OD ratio level. Please clarify

hi today i undergone HIV elisa test, i got the OD ratio of 0.011 and result is negative. what is this OD ratio. some guys have got 0.003 which is lesser than me..people say cut off ratio is 0.4. why is there diff in OD ratio. Even though i m negative, i m worried about OD ratio level.
For your information, i underwent test on 92nd day from my intercourse. So please clarify
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 48 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

OD means optical density.

Optical density is the measure of the transmition of an optical medium for a given wave length.

Cut off value depends on the different manufacturer company.

The OD varies linearly with the HIV RNA concentration.

As your OD is within cut off level no need to worry .

You got tested within 92 nd day of intercourse, but you have not mentioned for which marker you got tested Eg earlier marker to detect HIV even in window period is p24. So ask the concerned person from whom you got tested.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Done HIV ELISA test. Worried about OD ratio level. Please clarify 1 hour later
thanks for your reply. i dont know whether it is p24, but in my test report it mentioned HIV (ELISA method), i did in Clumax diagnostics (a MED ALL company) in Bangalore. you mean to say after 3 months test wont be confirmatory one.
Follow-up: Done HIV ELISA test. Worried about OD ratio level. Please clarify 25 minutes later

It was HIV 1 & 2 elisa test to detect anitbodies.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 8 minutes later
Good to hear from you.

Specific antibody to HIV is produced shortly after infection, but the exact time depends on several factors like your immunity and characteristics of the virus .

Antibodies are present at low levels during early infection but not at the detection limit of some assays. They could be detected in most individuals by 6 to 12 weeks after infection.

ELISA test is highly sensitive.It is only a screening method. But its not specific you can get westren blot test done which is most specific test to detect HIV.

I know my explanation might have confused you a lot .

You just ask in the lab, where you got tested whether ELISA was IGM or IGg because ,IgM antibody simultaneously with immunoglobulin G (IgG) detection,is more sensitive.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health