Doing stretching exercises. Developed pain in achilles tendon. Treatment to cure completely?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi Doctor
I'm a healthy 30 years old male who started exercising in the Gym 6 weeks ago. My last regular exercise was 4 years ago & during this period I gained like 35 Kg of weight (my current BMI is 35).
I started with some cardio (mainly treadmill) & my fitness started to improve slowly.
One day while running on the treadmill I developed dull aching pain in my right heel & Achilles tendon. I ignored it as I thought its muscular & related to my workouts. The pain got severe day by day & I sought medical advice & I was told that it is Achilles tendonitis from over use (Rupture was excluded clinically).
I was put in cast (foot on plantar flexion) & I was using crutches for 2 weeks. The pain improved, but last week started to flare up again. This time they told me no need for cast or crutches & they showed me how to stretch the tendon & asked me to rest from work. I also got ultrasound treatment in physiotherapy.
I can feel that my pain is getting worse & I'm afraid my tendon is going to rupture.
How long shall I continue to be off work?
Shall I stop stretching until the pain subsides completely?
Are there any other treatments that can help me?
Please advice me what to do doctor.

Thank you & best regards
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

It is important to remember that it may take at least 2 to 3 months for the pain to go away. Otherwise surgery is suggested to repair your Achilles tendon. Running may begin at 6-10 weeks after surgery. Participation in competitive sports can start after 3-6 months.

Continue using stretching exercises as it is a part of physiotheraphy.

Operative brisement (ie, injection of dilute anesthetic into the paratenon sheath under ultrasound guidance to break up adhesions) may be useful in tendinosis.

Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections have become popular recently for refractory tendinosis .

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and give your reviews.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.