Does the creatinine level indicate any abnormality and should I take dialysis treatment?

i am a 72 year old female i have diabetes high blood pressure and cholestrol i take meds for all i had a blood teast done and always my creatine is 1.1 1.2 today results 1.5 my bun 33 today 38 gfr 47 for 5 ears today 34 i am scared to death for diayliss can you help me please what can i do
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, do not be scared, we are not there yet! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this deteriorating renal function tests. You have every reason to be worried and this is totally understandable. No one would pretend not to be troubled about these numbers and the possibility of requiring dialysis in future. For now, we are not just there yet. While this could be a possibility later on, there are many things we can start doing today to make sure with do not get there any time soon. The most important things too do now is to adopt healthy life style(diet and exercise), limit all drugs(Tylenol,Ibuprofen) and products(contrast products) that can further damage the kidneys and control conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes that can make this worse. I know your doctor most have touched basis on this with you and reviewed your medications to make sure all is okay. I would also want to imagine that he has reviewed your medications to make sure diabetes, hypertension, and cholesterol are well controlled As well as preventing anemia and dehydration. Always ask your doctor about any new medications to make sure they are safe to be taken by persons with kidney disease. How well we carry out the above would determine how long it would take to ever require dialysis if at all. We never really need dialysis until the GFR falls below 15. You are still a long way from there and we should focus more on addressing what can prevent it rather than being afraid of being on dialysis. You are still stage 3 and need to move all the way to 5 before dialysis sets in! When dialysis is inevitable, we would use it to help you feel better. Remember, each medical procedure is geared towards making you feel better and not to scare you. I guess you should be happy that even in such a scenario, there are still options to help rather than developing fear towards them. Oh, do not forget that we also have kidney transplants that do an amazing job to restore renal function! You always have that as well. In all, dialysis is meant to help and not scare you. If we adequately protect and take care of the kidneys, this will not be happening anytime soon. Also, kidney transplant has greatly reduced the number of persons requiring dialysis for life. I hope this addresses your query fully. Feel free to ask for clarifications and more information if need be. I wish you well. Thanks for utilizing our services, we very much appreciate it. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Does the creatinine level indicate any abnormality and should I take dialysis treatment? 11 minutes later
is it possible to lower my creatine its 1.5 lower my bun its 38 and raise my gfr fom 34 back to 47 if so how and do you see people raise theirs often thank you
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not in many patients Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you for following up with me. GFR, creatinine and BUN rarely improve unless it was caused by a measuring mistake or other factors like dehydration. If it were for real caused by kidney cells damage, it is definite because the cells can never be replaced. However, monitoring will give us a more rounded idea if the increase was influenced by other factors or was a clear reflection of kidney damage. If the numbers improve in future, then it was most likely related to factors other than kidney damage. Am being honest and sincere not to give any unfounded hopes. I hope you get this and know you are still a long way from any dialysis. It might have been mentioned but not definitely something that would happen any time soon. I wish you we Thanks. Dr. Ditah, Md.