Does the BPD value in the scan report indicate any abnormality?

At 24 week scan bpd was 5.69cm (7.9) and hc 22.0cm (37.7%) is this ok? What could small bpd indicate?
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi.BPD is on lower side but needs evaluation Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX BPD (biparietal diameter is measured between both the temples) and indicative of brain growth.Normal BPD at 24 weeks is 6cm and the BPD of your baby correlates to 23 weeks.This simply means that fetal brain growth is not upto the expected size(due to growth retardation).This becomes important only when it is less than 10 percentile. Since there is a small difference in the measured biparietal diameter I also suggest you to correlate correctly with exact gestational age(date your pregnancy). However Head circumference is within normal limits and is okay. The average weight of the baby at 24 weeks is 670 grams.I would like to know how much does your baby weigh? In my opinion you may need frequent measurement (ultrasound) and monitoring to assess the BPD.Discuss with your OG for further management. Hope this helps. All the best.
Follow-up: Does the BPD value in the scan report indicate any abnormality? 1 hour later
Gestation age is correct as baby is ivf 24weeks and 2 days. The estimated fetal weight is 717g so measuring ok. Just wondering if small bpd can indicate any kind of brain abnormality or delayed brain growth? Bpd was at normal 46.1mm at 19w6d Posterior ventricle also decreased 6.8mm at 19w6days now 4.67mm 24w2days if that is of any significance? I had a fall on the weekend which is why I was rescanned. Thank you for your reply
Answered by Dr. Praveen 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello.This might require serial monitoring Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing back. In my opinion these measurements(posterior ventrical, BPD) become significant only when they fall below a certain value on serial measurements(90 percentile etc) Although sonology findings are on a lower side this may not mean that the fetal brain growth is hampered and more obviously its functioning. Growth/Size cannot be correlated to its function directly in all cases. I advice you to discuss with you OG.Hope it reinforces my opinion. Wish you all the best.