Does taking duromine effect T3, T4 and TSH test results and how long should i wait after stopping duromine to take blood test?

Question
Hi, I was wondering if duromine 30mg is safe to take if I have a suspected overactive thyroid? I am on no other medication as my doctor is doing further tests to diagnose me first before medicating. What are the effects if i continue to use Duromine while having suspected hyperthyroidism? And how is it excreted and how long does it take to be completely excreted?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Follow-up: Does taking duromine effect T3, T4 and TSH test results and how long should i wait after stopping duromine to take blood test? 12 minutes later
Will taking Duromine effect my blood test results if the doctor is checking for T3 T4 and TSH levels? If it does how long should I wait after stopping Duromine to take the blood test for accurate results (not being effected by the Duromine 30mg)?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Duromine is sympathomimetic drug, derivative of amphetamine, which is used for the treatment of obesity and contains phentermine as its main drug. It is strictly contraindicated in diabetes, glaucoma, high blood pressure, heart condition, an overactive thyroid, or a history of drug abuse.

If you are suspecting an overactive thyroid, then you should not take Duromine. It may cause worsening of the thyroid condition and may interfere with the thyroid medication when they are prescribed to you.

It's excretion is primarily renal (70% to 80% excreted unchanged) and excretion is increased by acidifying the urine. The t 1/ 2 is 19 to 24 hr.

You should wait till you get the reports of your thyroid status after blood tests and if you are found to be hyperthyroid then this drug is seriously contraindicated. It should not be started in that case.You should not take it for 48 hrs before doing the blood test in case you do not want it show up in blood tests or any interference with T3 T4 reports.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Does taking duromine effect T3, T4 and TSH test results and how long should i wait after stopping duromine to take blood test? 1 hour later
Thankyou Dr XXXXXXX your answer was very helpful, just want to clarify a few things...

What did you mean by the t1/2 is 19 to 24 hrs? Does this mean within 24 hours of not taking Duromine there will be no trace of it in my system?

And what do you mean by 70 - 80% unchanged? - Does this mean that the drugs components are the same from when first taking the drug when excreted through the renal system?

Annie

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 25 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Half life of a drug means that after 19-24 hours of last dose half the drug will be washed out of the body. So complete elimination from the body requires atleast 48 hours.

70-80% unchanged excretion means that only 20-30% will be utilized and changed to other metabolic forms and rest will be excreted as such by the kidneys.

Follow-up: Does taking duromine effect T3, T4 and TSH test results and how long should i wait after stopping duromine to take blood test? 17 hours later
Hi, thankyou again. Once last thing.

You refer to 20 - 30% of the drug being utilized or changed to other metabolic forms? what are these? and does that mean that my body only uses 20-30% of the drug?

thankyou,

Regards, Annie

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 18 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you again for writing back.

It does not mean that you utilize only 20-30% of the drug. One tends to use the whole drug. However, 70-80% drug passes unchanged in the urine after producing its action and 20-30% gets metabolized to other forms in the liver before getting excreted. The metabolic forms of phentermine are chlorphentermine and alpha-nitro- beta ethane.

I sincerely hope this clarifies your doubts.

Best Regards