Does taking Priloscec increase weight?

met a lady at the grocery store yesterday and she said she had gained 25 lb. taking Priloscec for acid reflex...i've
not been able to reduce my wt. since Feb. ater a burst fracture to the lumbar 4 section of my back and 3 broken
bones in my wrist......currently I take Pantoprazole Sod Dr Tabs 40Mg....could this be associated with my difficulty
to get my wt. doing a far degree of cardio training and strength training with wts. and am at the gym 4
times a wk. most wk......thanks for your help..... XXXXXX
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Proton Pump Inhibitors

Detailed Answer:
Hello.Delighted to be able to help.
The drugs that you refer are called Proton Pump Inhibitors(pantoprazole, lansoprazole, omeprazole).Prolonged use of these drugs is related to pneumonia, diarrhea or decreased levels of vitamin b12 but there is not scientific evidence to relate Proton Pump Inhibitors with weight gain. However presence of sodium in the Pantoprazole sodium which is a significant element that can cause weight gain, were not commented in the literature. Ask your doctor about it. Also immobility for your bone fractures have contributed to your weight gain.You must continue with your practice sports in the gym.With it and proper diet prescribed by your doctor you can get weight loss.
I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.