Does pinched nerve in the neck cause swollen finger joints and stiff hands?

Rheumatologist
Question
Will a pinched nerve in the neck cause swollen finger joints and stiff hands in the morning I do not have the copy of the report to upload. My doctor thought I had carpel tunnel and scheduled a nerve test with a neurologist . The test showed no carpel tunnel. I woke up in May with my right hand stiff unable to make a fist then the next day the other hand. It's been like this ever since. My ring finger is so enlarged I had to remove my wedding rings. My pinky finger now snaps in and out and I can't make a fist.
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam , Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that since your NCV ( the special test you have mentioned shows no evidence for carpal tunnel it is difficult that you are having this problem. Since you are saying you have swelling and stiffness of hands you should get an evaluation for arthritis , A ESR , Rheumatoid factor is highly advisable . Sometimes diabetic patients also get this kind of problem . You need to see a rheumatologist for this because clinical examination is the best way to establish the presence of synovitis . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Does pinched nerve in the neck cause swollen finger joints and stiff hands? 5 minutes later
My family doctor did a blood test for rheumatoid arthritis and it was negative. He sent me to a neurologist not a rheumatologist . The nerve test showed some problems in the neck. It his is why I was wondering if a pinched nerve could cause arthritis like symptoms ?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam , You told me that your both hands have been affected which is unlikely in compressed nerves . Just by some test negative Rheumatoid cannot be ruled out .In some patients the tests are negative but still they arthritis . Only an expert will be able to tell you that after examining the fingers . ACPA is a specific test for rheumatoid but sometimes it can be negative also . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Does pinched nerve in the neck cause swollen finger joints and stiff hands? 8 minutes later
Thank you for your reply I have wanted to see a rheumatologist for sometime now and it is difficult as I need my primary care to refer me. I am quite concerned that a delay in treatment will cause my joints to be damaged. Is there any thing I can do at home while waiting the two months for a specialist that would help my hands.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Well I cannot advise you something till the correct diagnosi is made . But still hot fomentation for hands in morning should be good for you . Dr. Shruti