Does oxandrolone taken at an younger age have influence on pubertal development?

hi. I was prescribed some oxandrolone, 2.5mg daily for 3 months, when i was 14 and half years old. This was to give me a boost in height. I was offered also low dose testosterone but refused as didnt want unnatural pubertal progression - just height boost was required and oxandrolone was my choice. I want to ask, just in case the tablets i took when i was younger was not 2.5mg but say 10mg oxandrolone.....would there be that much of extra influence on pubertal development from the 10mg daily for 3 months? (i heard 10mg oxandrolone is prescribed for women in certain circumstances)
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, it has effect on gonadotropic functions. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query and understood your concern. In my opinion, taking high dose of oxandrolone for 3 months will definitely influence on pubertal development because oxandrolone suppresses the gonadotropic functions of pituitary gland and may exert direct effect upon the testis. Hope this helped you. Thank you.
Follow-up: Does oxandrolone taken at an younger age have influence on pubertal development? 1 hour later
I see, ok if it has these effects how so it's safe enough to prescribe for women? Secondly, you mention direct effect on testes.....but I want to consider comparison between 10mg oxandrolone once daily for 3 months & testosterone enanthate 50mg monthly for 3 months - which would have the more effect on pubertal development? Hope you can give valued answer. Regards,
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Upto 20mg per day of oxandrolone is safe. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your follow up. In my opinion, upto 20 mg per day is safe. Excess use of oxandrolone in woman may have risk of virilization (deepening of voice, hirsutism, acne, clitoromegaly) and menstrual irregularities. Androgenic and anabolic steroids both have its own adverse effects. But according to your given values of both drugs, Testosterone enanthate 50 mg per month for 3 months have less dose when compared (hence less adverse effects) than Oxandrolone once a day for 3 months. Hope this helped you, Thank you.
Follow-up: Does oxandrolone taken at an younger age have influence on pubertal development? 40 minutes later
Thank you Dr Alekhya for reply, I thought testosterone is the more 'androgenic' of the two? Yet you state it will have less effect than oxandrolone? I want to have idea about relativity of androgenic strength between the two please. What about comparing 10mg oxandrolone daily with 100mg test enanthate monthly , both over 3 month total period? Best regards
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Less effect because of the DOSAGE. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query. Though oxandrolone has small level of androgenicity, I stated it will have more effect than Testosterone enanthate only because of given dosage value (50mg monthly for 3 months). ANY DRUG MAY CHANGE ITS EFFECT DEPENDING UPON DOSAGE. Yes testosterone have more androgenicity as you thought but not when used at very low dose (for example more effect will have when used upto dosage of 100 mg per month but have more adverse effects if used more than 400 mg per month.) For your more information, Testosterone enanthate is androgenic agent binds to androgen receptors. Produces multiple anabolic and androgenic effects. Oxandrolone which is also a derivative of dihydrotestosterone is Anabolic agent ; suppresses the gonadotropic functions of pituitary and may exert a direct effect upon testis. Hope this helped you, please write down if your doubt has not yet cleared. Thank you.