Does overfeeding cause frequent stools in baby?
User rating for this question
Hello doctor Our 9 months old baby is pooping 3 to 4 times a day since last few days. Earlier he was going once or twice a day. The poo is thick and yellow in color. I want to know if this is okay and if not whether this could be due to overfeeding. We feed him 4 times a day other than mother's milk. Usually 3/4 bowl of fruits, vegetables, or grains every time.
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is okay and it is due to a normal reflex. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. As the child is passing thick and yellow stools, this pattern is normal. Passing stools 3 to 4 times in a day of normal consistency and color is a normal thing in infants and it is usually due to gastrocolic reflex. Gastrocolic reflex is a normal thing in kids and because of this, they pass stools frequently especially after feed to allow more room or space in the gut. Passing frequent stools in your kid is not due to over feeding, but is to accommodate more feeds as they contain small intestine. As the age increase this reflex will go and the stool pattern becomes normal. So nothing to worry about this stool pattern and frequency as they are of normal consistency and color. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
People also viewed
- Causes of gray stool in babies
- What causes hard stool in babies
- Does cholestoff cause constipation
- Diet for watery stools
- Discharge summary of high fever
- Baby passing stool frequently
- Child fever loss of appetite
- Symptoms loss of appetite constipation brown discharge
- Does overfeeding cause frequent stools in baby
- No appetite burning vagina
- Surrogate mothers
- Low blood pressure low temperature low appetite
- Probiotics for baby frequent stool
- Child swallowed vaseline
- Baby loss of appetite and fever