Does mouth ulcer after unprotected oral sex indicate possibility of HIV?

Hallo Doctor! When i was in amsterdam on 6th XXXXXXX this year i had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex with a prostitute .and after four days i had a small painless mouth ulcer inside my lower lip since it appeared i could not sleep and it has dissapeared today. i have seen in some websites that it is an indication of acute hiv i am also having some dry throat. i am really worried and having sleepless nights. what are my chances of contacting hiv?. should i be worried regarding the ulcer?. or is it any std.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Not suggestive of HIV..but you could have HIV Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this unprotected sex and the troubling thoughts lingering around HIV right now. Yes, every unprotected intercourse exposes you to HIV. You can get contaminated from these encounters. However, it is less likely to contract HIV through unprotected oral sex than unprotected vaginal sex. The risk of having HIV is real, but basing the arguments on this ulcer and dry throat makes no sense. This ulcer in no way suggest an acute HIV infection symptom all by itself. The time line is also very non suggestive. It is most likely a coincidental occurrence. Your chances here are very slim but non Zero. Should you get tested for HIV? YES. Is it because this ulcer suggests HIV infection, NO. Simply because you have been exposed to someone whose HIV status is not known to be negative. You should also take this opportunity to get tested for all other STDS. I am pretty sure you have first hand experienced the distress associated with unprotected sex involving a person whose status is not known to be negative. I will encourage you to be more cautious about this in future. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.