Ask a Urologist   »  

Does miconizole nitrate and floucinolone acetonide ointment and betadine help in curing small cuts on foreskin?

Jan 2014

does miconizole nitrate & floucinolone acetonide ointment (zole -f ), betadine and antifungal powder help in curing small cuts on foreskin? (balanitis???) how effective is it? should i use dettol swabs?
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Gentle clensing+Antifungal cream+cetrizine Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your query at XXXXXXX The signs and symptoms of classical Candidal Balanoposthitis are Itching, White deposition and Linear Cracks all round on the inner surface of prepuce. I would like to gather some more information regarding your problem so as to be able to help you better >Do you have diabetes? Were you recently tested for blood sugar? I need that information because diabetes/high blood sugar predisposes it. >Are you Married? >Does your sexual partner suffers from vaginal discharge or vulval pruritus/itching? I need to know that because you can contract it from your sexual partner if he OR she is infected. >If Married, is their any History of extramarital sexual contact? I would advice against using any kind of soap to clean the delicate skin of foreskin and glans. I would advice against using dettol swabs, spirit, betadine, savlon etc since they might cause irritation on the delicate skin of glans and prepuce. Instead you can use just plain water for gentle cleansing. You can apply a steroid+antifungal cream for a week e.g one containing Beclomethasone+Clotrimazole would be ideal but you can also use miconizole nitrate & floucinolone acetonide ointment (zole -f ). I think that should be sufficient. Its available OTC. Can take cetrizine once daily for itching. Abstain from intercourse for a week till it is cured OR otherwise you can use a condom If its slow to respond OR recurs again i would advice that you visit your nearby dermatologist who might prescribe you one of the oral antifungal agents( either Fluconazole/ Itraconazole). Hope this helps you take care regards
Follow-up: Does miconizole nitrate and floucinolone acetonide ointment and betadine help in curing small cuts on foreskin? 48 minutes later
surprisingly there is no itching, and occasionally i can retract my foreskin quite comfortably, only thing is a lot of what i believe is smegma builds up in some amount once in a while (a week or 9 days) its not uncomfortable, its only the cuts that are bothering me. can this be anything else? an no i am not married, i dont have diabetes, last time i checked my Blood sugar was in may 2013 and i came out normal, both pre and post meal.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Candidal Balanoposthitis Detailed Answer: Hi. Itching is subjective in most patients. Retraction is a problem only in a severely affected patient when their is lot of edema, but in a milder case its not a problem Smegma can be cleaned up with just lukewarm plain water. Apply a steroid+antifungal cream twice daily e.g one containing Beclomethasone+Clotrimazole OR miconizole nitrate+floucinolone acetonide ointment (zole -f ). I think a week of this should be sufficient. Take care Dr. Kakkar