Ask a Urologist   »  

Does masturbation cause problems with erection?

hi my age is 26.i just got married last month.from 18 i masturbate daily very hard because of that my penis have no much power.i know before that its get very hard.i don't know what to do know i m just taking Viagra for erect properly during sex time which can do some side can i recover power during the sex without taking sex pills. my wife is not happy from me that's why i am getting stressed..i don't want to lose her.i think i damaged my penis veins.please help somehow and explain briefly. thanks
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 15 hours later
Hi Surinderpal,

This is a myth in our society that masturbation causes this problem. The more the stress, the less the erection. Erection is almost always mind related. Once you get back the confidence you can discontinue Viagra. Its just a matter of time till you get back your confidence. If you are too worried, it would be better to get examined and evaluated by an Urologist.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures which might help you:
1. Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption
2. Avoid any medications like antidepressants if on any after discussing with your doctor
3. To regain your confidence, you can follow Breathing exercises.

Hope this answers your query. In case of doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Follow-up: Does masturbation cause problems with erection? 15 hours later
but when sometime i use to do sex without Viagra my penis feel not much hard it become erect hard in starting but while doing sex then this happens
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 5 hours later
Hi again,

The effects of masturbation on human body have been widely discussed in the medical fraternity. And it has been proved that masturbation causing sexual dysfunctions is a myth. And it is also suggested that the common cause of erection problems in a young male are mind (anxiety) related and other organic causes are unlikely.

You may visit an urologist for evaluation to rule out any organic causes if present, you might require continued medical supports. Else mind retraining under guidance of an expert sexologist / psychiatrist‘s will help you in getting back your confidence; thus treating your problem. Mind retraining measures include anxiety management, sensate focusing techniques, physical exercises, yoga and transcendental meditation techniques.

Hope my answer helps you.

Wish you good health